Wednesday, October 8, 2008

QuackQuack MooooMooO OinkyOinky I'm on a FARM!



I am a farmer living in the United States. I hear from a runaway friend that not very far from here is a peaceful place where there is no child labor,where children get to be with their family, and everyone gets to go to school without worrying about letting their families down. I wish everyday that my family and I could run away and start a new life. A life where I'm not afraid to go home because I'm scared of the mad news to come. A life where I can actually be with and spend time with my family and friends. I don't think there is any job that is worst than the one I have. A job where people like me have to stand outside in the burning sun for hours picking up seeds one by one just to get 2 measly dollars a hour! I can't stand the heat, my skin is almost always burned and every movement hurts. Everyday it gets worse and when I get home, my only time I get to relax, I can't because when I lie down it hurts even more. Besides the heat of the sun, the chemicals and pesticides really bother me. They spray it daily to keep the insects out but it keeps more things out than they know. It also keeps me off the farm some days. I'm highly allergic to the chemicals and sometimes the pain gets the better of me. I stay home but I try and fight the pain everyday because I know that my family depends on the little bit of money I make. If I didn't work at least 12 hours a day my family will not only be poor but also homeless. I wish that day when I could leave this world behind and live a normal life with my friends and family would hurry up and come already. I'm tired of waiting.

2 comments:

MrSullivan said...

Very nice! Sadly, a lot of these workers can't even be called "farmers," just farm workers. They might never get to spend time on a farm besides when they are working at picking the crops. Way to put yourself in their shoes!

lahana said...

Amazing. I can see you put a lot of effort into this post and it paid off. You really made your character come alive.